Tamiya 1/35 T-55 model kit is regarded as a staple model kit among model contest aficionados. Tamiya brings this fan favorite subject to a smaller scale with this 1/48 rendition. The T-55 medium tank not only provided a base for later T-62, T-72 and T-80 designs still in use today, it spurred Western rivals on and contributed to the great East-West arms race of the Cold War. Its 100mm gun compared favorably with the West 90mm counterpart, and with HEAT rounds could defeat up to 390mm of armor. The T-55 was produced in the USSR, and under license in Czechoslovakia and Poland, and supplied to Soviet countries and clients worldwide ‰ۡÌÝÌÕ it even faced off against U.S.-designed M48s and M60A1s in the Middle East.
A Prolific Design
The T-55 was born in an era of increasing West-East Cold War tension, as an upgrade to the existing T-54. This low-profile design with hemispherical turret was extremely well suited to mass production, and even featured rudimentary protection from chemical weapons. It was also produced under license in Czechoslovakia and Poland, and when added with the T-54 its production run is said to have run to the astonishing number of 100,000 units. Warsaw Pact countries and Arab client states were among those who operated the T-55, meaning it saw significant action in the Middle East and even the Gulf War.
- 1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Length: 190mm, width: 69mm.
- Features authentic recreations of weld lines and cast turret surfaces.
- 100mm main gun and anti-aircraft machine gun provide added realism.
- Assembly type tracks have single piece straight sections.
- Comes with a commander torso figure surveying the battle in front, and decals to create a single marking option.
This is a scale plastic model kit, assembly required. Paints and glue not included.