Between 1907 and 1925 the Railways took delivery of 88 Express Brake vans from various manufactures and with several roof profiles. In 1914 Meadowbank Manufacturing delivered 12 vans, in 1921 Robert Kilborn delivered 10 vans and in 1925 Carriage Works Eveleigh delivered 2 vans, they were all built to complement the new Mainline passenger carriages introduced by E. E. Lucy around the same time. The roof line was a High Elliptical profile and featured a modified end canopy, the cantrail was curved upwards across the end of the car somewhat matching the mainline cars. They were fitted with 7’0” wheelbase bogies later coded 2BB. They were the first EHO series brake vans to feature a small letterboard along the upper portion of the side bodywork. They entered traffic with typical LNWR ornate bodywork however this was later replaced with traditional tongue and groove siding. Towards the late 1950s / early 1960s the tongue and groove siding was covered with Masonite sheeting. Some vans were later rebuilt with plywood sides and fitted with sliding doors, in the process they lost the tumblehome detail synonymous with early Thow designed passenger carriages.
Four were rebuilt into SKB Parcels Van traffic in 1975.